07 January 2018

midwinter is in the past

2015, all innocent



The river  burst its banks three days ago and this lunchtime, the water level reached orange alert  with red alert forecast for tonight. Like all good citizens, we duly made our way to see it with our very own eyes. Let no disaster happen without crowds to witness.
It was as expected, ducks and swans showing off their best plumage, a couple of canoeists paddling along where some eight meters below, we would normally cycle. Only the NE wind was icy cold.

In the morning, I can hear a timid dawn chorus, the days are getting longer, so R reassures me.

At nights when exhaustion has me in its tight wrap, I lie in the deep silence and although I cannot see the moon directly, I watch the blue light, the way it shimmers and shivers along the walls and across the ceiling and this longing for life comes over me, like an urge from deep inside of me that I had almost forgotten existed. 


11 comments:

am said...

So many layers of your life. Cherish.

Ms. Moon said...

Yes. The days are growing longer again. Promises the planet makes to us, despite how we treat it.

liv said...

"the way it shimmers and shivers along the walls and across the ceiling and this longing for life"

Absolutely lovely.

I hope, for you, that this is a year full of unexpected goodness.

JO said...

There is a nanodrop more light in the evenings - do hope it cheers you. And I hope you stay dry!

ellen abbott said...

incrementally longer, hardly noticeable yet but one day soon I'll look up and the day will be 6PM and the sun will not have set yet.

Anonymous said...

"... this longing for life..." yes, it visits every now and then with the most wonderful moments recognized by our beating hearts.

Steve Reed said...

The water is eight meters above what would normally be dry land?? Holy cow!

I like that 10,000 Maniacs song (originally Roxy Music, I believe) but that was just about the only thing they recorded after Natalie Merchant left that had any staying power.

Colette said...

I'm glad you got out to see that natural disaster. The occultist Dion Fortune once wrote "Nature is an old and subtle woman, jealous of her own way." Sometimes we have to see what she can do to really appreciate the power she holds. It deserves to be acknowledged. I had never seen that video before. It is beautiful, lush and provocative. AND disturbing. We just can't know.

molly said...

I hope you live on high ground Sabine...And I hope too that this new year brings all in life that you're longing for.

37paddington said...

you are a poet, sabine.

Elizabeth said...

Such beautiful and evocative stringing together of these amazing things we call "words." You're in every one.